What is Six Sigma Certification: Definition, Levels, Cost & Benefits
“Six Sigma”- the term might be new to you or may have heard about it before but lack the proper knowledge regarding this technique. The principle of Six Sigma aims at the improvement of business processes. The Six Sigma certification enables employees to improve their analytical skills and apply them in the company they work.
Learn more about the Six Sigma certification, the belt levels and all other necessary details from this blog.
Table of Content
- What is Six Sigma Certification?
- How Much Does Six Sigma Cost?
- What to Read Next:
What is Six Sigma Certification?
The Six Sigma Certification is a validation of an individual’s knowledge of project management tools and techniques. The Six Sigma Certificate is awarded to trainees in levels using a belt classification system similar to that of martial arts.
The Certifications typically require completion of a training course and appearing in a practical exam. In some cases, there can be certain work experience requirements as well. You need to renew your Six Sigma certification periodically as per the organisation’s standards.
The Six Sigma Belt Levels:
You might want to know, how many six sigma belts are there? As the name itself suggests, there are six belt levels relevant to the position of the employees within an organisation. The Six Sigma belts are earned through course-based training, exams and practical experience.
The belt levels are-
- White belt: The White belt is awarded to those who have completed an entry-level overview of the tools used in Six Sigma, i.e. its history, six sigma and lean practices, basics of DMAIC and the system’s structure.
- Yellow belt: This belt is awarded to those who can assist a project at a practical level and have passed an exam while demonstrating an understanding of implementing, performing, and applying Six Sigma.
- Green belt: A six sigma green belt works under the supervision of a six sigma black belt. Those who apply Six Sigma principles in real projects get this award.
The green belt awardees also need to pass an exam to demonstrate the thorough knowledge of the Six Sigma Method phases.
- Black belt: A six sigma black belt shows the ability to explain the Six Sigma philosophies and principles along with its supporting tools and systems. They demonstrate team leadership, have a thorough understanding of the DMAIC model and can identify waste.
As a black belt awardee, you must pass an exam demonstrating a complete knowledge of the Six Sigma Method phases.
- Master black belt: The Master black belts possess extensive experience in Six Sigma and often act as consultants to assist in implementing Lean Six Sigma practices. They must demonstrate an expert understanding of the philosophies and principles of Six Sigma through an exam.
Master black belts need at least five years of experience as a black belt or proof of completing at least 10 Six Sigma projects.
- Champion: The Six Sigma champion is the highest level of Six Sigma training. The champions remain responsible for making all the high-level decisions, implementing Six Sigma across all departments and mentoring other Six Sigma candidates that include black belts and green belts.
Want to be a Six Sigma certified professional?
If you’re interested in getting a Six Sigma Belt but confused about which one is right for you, consider watching the following video-
Benefits of Six Sigma:
A six sigma training certification opens the door to a myriad of opportunities for the employees. Likewise, following the Six Sigma ideology, employers get benefited too. Let’s find out in detail-
- Reduces Waste: The concept of Six Sigma aids in decreasing the total waste of a business. The methodology of Six Sigma identifies and remedies the area of waste within an organisation saving the time, waste and money.
- Increases Profits: The unique techniques of Six Sigma help to reduce the time, labour and energy required for creating a product. This improves the productivity of a company which ultimately results in profit increase.
- Improves Connectivity with Investors: The companies with employees having Six Sigma professional certifications attract more investors. Six Sigma Belt professionals’ commitment to quality and improvement makes your organization more attractive to investors for partnership.
- Ensures compliance with regulations: Following the principles of Six Sigma, companies can fulfil contract requirements and comply with state, national or international standards. The guidelines ensure that a company can stay proactive and can be adaptive to any industry changes.
- Improves Job Opportunities: An employee with Six Sigma training can stand out to employers because of their knowledge in cost reduction, leadership skills and quality control. Hence, Six Sigma skills can help employees to ace in various roles.
- Provides hands-on experience: The Six Sigma certification services require you to complete projects using the six sigma principles. This enables you to gain practical experience in project management making you a highly demandable candidate.
- Helps to get managerial roles: The Six Sigma certification can widen your opportunity to get managerial roles. The process improves your leadership, management, risk-assessment, and team-building skills, which employers look for in managerial roles.
How Much Does Six Sigma Cost?
The cost of a Six Sigma course will depend on the course provider. If you are not taking lessons from any training providers and your company is providing the training, they will not charge you but bear the cost of creating the curriculum, the trainer, and the time you are investing on the training.
You can enrol to any Six Sigma course online. This would be the most convenient way to achieve your professional certifications if you already have a job. Lead Academy offers Six Sigma courses at various levels where the offer price is now starting from £79 only!
How Long Does It Take to Get Six Sigma Certification?
The time required to get a Six Sigma certification varies according to the certification provider and the project requirements. However, the White Belt certification usually takes up to 4 hours, the Green Belt takes up to 10 weeks, the Yellow Belt requires three weeks, and the Black Belt takes 16 weeks at maximum.
What Does Six Sigma Certification Cost?
The cost of Six Sigma certification varies according to the certification providers. You need to check the websites of the training providers to know the exact cost.
What is Six Sigma certification used for?
A Six Sigma Certification proves your eligibility to use the Six Sigma tools and techniques to analytically solve business problems. Further, so as to achieve professional goals, individuals can leverage the Six Sigma belt certifications.
Is Six Sigma a good qualification?
Most of the business teams look for a Six Sigma trained candidate these days. So, if you are planning to get the certification, do not think twice! It is the perfect certificate to prove yourself in the modern business.
The Six Sigma certification can open the door to many lucrative opportunities and help you achieve the ultimate professional success. Further, this certificate is what will make you stand alone among all the other candidates. So, do not waste your time anymore and start your Six Sigma journey today!